SOUTH  HAVEN, MI
Stree Side; South Haven, MI Depot

This is the 1910 Michigan Central depot in South Haven. It replaced an earlier building that burned. The building to the left of the covered walkway was an open air waiting area with a fountain in the center.

The tracks were originally built by the Kalamazoo & South Haven Rail Road . This was probably just a construction company formed by the Michigan Central, for it was leased in perpetuity to the MC in 1870. At one time, this was a fairly busy passenger route. The 1902 MC timetable shows four daily passenger trains, and two daily mixed trains serving South Haven, except Sunday when there was only one train each way. Passenger service lasted until July 1, 1937, but by then service had been downgraded to a single mixed train each way. The Kalamazoo-South Haven tracks are gone, replaced by the Kal-Haven bike trail.

The building is nicely maintained and open to the public as the Depot Deli. Two nearby cabooses are available as motel rooms during the warm weather months.

Track Side; South Haven Depot
Track Side

Caboose guest room
Caboose  w/ Room to Rent, Interior shown below.

Interior of caboose guest room

Old Postcard View of South Haven Depot
Open-air Waiting Area, shown on Old Postcard

The other surviving depots from the Kalamazoo- South Haven route are Kalamazoo, Bloomingdale, and Lacota.

March 1998, Updated Jan. 2004
Louis Van Winkle
E-mail questions or comments to
louisvw@mc.net

Michigan Passenger Stations Home Page